Sunday, September 30, 2018

Google vs. Google

Has this ever happened to you? (It has to me.) I search Google® Scholar for, let’s say, hydrodesulfurization. Then I decide to narrow the search to hydrodesulfurization AND catalysis.

On my screen are TWO Google® search boxes. Which one do I choose?

If I am not careful, I choose the box nearer the top of the screen. I am surprised to find loads of stuff that I do not want. Only then do I realize that I have been diverted from Google® Scholar to Google® regular.

TIP: What happens in Google® Scholar does not stay in Google® Scholar … unless you consciously choose the Google® Scholar search box.

Jean Steinhardt served as Librarian, Aramco Services, Engineering Division, for 13 years. He now heads Jean Steinhardt Consulting LLC, producing the same high quality research that he performed for Aramco.

Follow Jean’s blog at: http://desulf.blogspot.com/  for continuing tips on effective online research
Email Jean at research@jeansteinhardtconsulting.com  with questions on research, training, or anything else
Visit Jean’s Web site at http://www.jeansteinhardtconsulting.com/  to see examples of the services we can provide


No comments:

Post a Comment