Friday, March 1, 2013

The English as a Second Language Factor

“The original is unfaithful to the translation.” -- Jorge Luis Borges, Argentine short-story writer, essayist, poet and translator (24 August 1899 – 14 June 1986)

While fluent in my native tongue of American English, I have not been able to master any other language.  I have studied Spanish, Russian, and Arabic.  In each case, I have progressed no further than the level of a kindergartner.  So when I see abstracts written in English by researchers whose native tongue is a language other than English, I admire their ability to do as well as they do, despite the grammatical errors.

Which brings me to the point of today’s tip: using Google® Translate, or any other Web based translation tool, to help find keywords in a language other than one’s native tongue.

Pretend, for example, that I am a researcher whose native language is Chinese.  I have a functional understanding of English, but an incomplete grasp of technical vocabulary.  And let’s say that I want to Google® for technical articles pertaining to dibenzothiophene, but I can’t remember the English word for dibenzothiophene.

I go to Google®, click “More” and then “Even More,” scroll down the list and click on “Translate.”

I choose “From Chinese” and “To English,” and then enter the following in the “Chinese” search box:
二苯並噻吩

Now I see the key word, in English, that I need to use to Google® for articles written in English that pertain to my topic.

As I browse the results, I can reverse the process.  Since, in this pretend scenario, my English is not 100%, I may run across technical terms that I am not familiar with.  I can use Google® Translate to translate those words “From English” and “To Chinese.”

Theoretically, I could use Google® Translate to translate the whole English language article into Chinese … but I am not sure I would trust the result.

I would welcome any comments on this Google® Translate tip.  And, I would welcome any reader’s LinkedIn invitation.  My LinkedIn profile is:

www.linkedin.com/in/jeansteinhardtresearch


No comments:

Post a Comment