Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Resolved-I will spend less time slogging through emails

If you, like me, use Google® Scholar to follow multiple topics with email alerts, I have a time saver tip for you.

TIP: When you set up a Google® Scholar Alert, use the allintitle feature.

For example, when I set up a Google® Scholar Alert for dibenzothiophene, I used the following procedure. NOTE: I use Internet Explorer. If you use a different browser, things may look a little different. But the principles remain the same.

In Google® Scholar (https://scholar.google.com), search for dibenzothiophene.
On the results page, click the triple bar in the upper left corner
Click Advanced search
Select in the title of the article
Click the magnifying glass in the upper right corner
On the results page, click Create alert

This creates an alert which is highly targeted to dibenzothiophene. I will miss a number of items that mention dibenzothiophene in the abstract or the text. But, since my goal is not to do a comprehensive literature search, that does not matter.

What does matter is that I am able to stay on top of developments regarding dibenzothiophene, without spending huge amounts of time doing so.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment